• The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We do in Life and Business (Charles Duhigg) - Explains why habits exist and how they can be changed. Argues that the key to exercising regularly, losing weight, being more productive, and achieving success is understanding how habits work.
• Drive: The Surprising Truth about What Motivates Us (Daniel H. Pink) - Daniel H. Pink draws from research on human motivation to explain that what motivates us at work is not simply traditional rewards like money, but fundamental human drives of autonomy, mastery and purpose.
• The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work (Shawn Achor) – Shawn Achor explains how happiness leads to success, and not the other way around. He describes how we can capitalize on happiness and positivity to improve our performance and maximize our potential.
+ Audio and Podcasts
• The Tim Ferriss Show: How to Avoid Decision Fatigue – In this podcast episode, Tim Ferriss describes how to minimize the amount of choices we have to make in a day and thereby maximizing our chances of making good decisions.
• Goodlife Project: The Surprising Science of Workplace Bliss - Ron Friedman draws from his years of research, coaching, and writing to describe what makes a great work culture and environment.
+ Blog posts
• Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose: The Science of What Motivates Us, Animated (Maria Popova) – Explores the question of how to avoid meaningless labor and instead find fulfilling work.
• The Case for the 32-Hour Workweek - Ryan Carson, the CEO of Treehouse, discusses the idea that less time at work leads to an overall more productive work environment.
+ Video and Vodcasts
• RSA Animate - Drive: The Surprising Truth about What Motivates Us - This engaging RSA Animate, based on Dan Pink's talk at the RSA, describes the important yet often ignored factors that motivate us in the workplace.